Have Ye Received The Holy Ghost Since Ye Believed?


"...Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost."

Old King James Bible Acts 19:1 - 2


Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Out Of Trouble


When first filled with God’s precious Holy Ghost, I did not understand the heavenly benefits of this blessing. A tireless adventurer, I was constantly in and out of scrapes, often encountering real or potential physical harm. Once I was saved by the Almighty’s intervention when I was attacked by a merciless gang, bent on destroying me. I was in a new school, walking home with a group of friends when a gang of teens approached us, singled me out, took me by the hair and threw me to the ground to stomp my face. They just did not like me and were after me to cause my utter destruction. After they threw me to the ground however, the Lord intervened and sent a young protector who dispersed the group allowing me to flee home in safety.

On another occasion, I was challenged by a violent would be attacker who was out to show the neighborhood that I was an easy target. Having been schooled in the basics of boxing arts however, I managed to deck my challenger with one punch. In later years I found out that this same attacker has spent many years in the State Prison with multiple visible scars from knife wounds and other battles. But, during those early years, God protected me because I was a believer.

By the time I was “filled“ with the Holy Ghost, I had been in and out of the country, seen a lot of trouble, and had been saved from several life threatening issues. While in Africa, my car narrowly missed being hit by a 13 foot long snake as it fell hundreds of feet with a loud thud from a tree over the road. Had we driven another foot forward, the snake would have broken our windshield and killed my entire family. On another occasion in New Your city, I was saved from being assaulted by two vicious trained Doberman Pinschers attack dogs. When the dogs saw me, they stopped their vicious barking and ran up to me licking my leg to the amazement of their hostile owner. The Holy Ghost was with me during those times and I was slowly learning to recognize the blessings that came with being “filled”. It took many years , but finally I came to realize how wonderful is the blessing of being guided in truth by the Holy Ghost.

In John 16:13 Jesus says, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth is come, he will guide you into all truth.” (KJV). The word is simple and profound and it encompasses all that a human being could need for any sort of trouble. It took me many years to learn this truth. Now however, I can attest to the marvelous power and benefit’s the Holy Ghost brings to those who have repented and are save and finally have been “filled“ .

Take my life for example. If I had been filled with and led by the Holy Ghost before being attacked by a gang, the Spirit of Truth would have guided me in my walk home from school on that day. In being filled, one also must be led by the Holy Ghost. But, having been filled and led, there is no way I would not have been prepared for the battles I encountered. Just as sure as I know that God is with me today, I know that I am filled with God’s Holy Ghost and that I am prepared to meet every situation., every difficulty and every challenge. I still have difficulties, but I am confident that Jesus is with me and His Holy Ghost guides me and leads me the best and safest way and out of all trouble.